Frequently Asked Questions
- The most important place to start is your cemetery. While we are familiar with most Statesboro, GA area cemeteries and can help you with this, it is important to determine any specific regulations that will limit your choices in a monument.
- Weather is a primary factor. Very wet ground may prohibit us from setting a solid foundation.
- Choice of granite. While we stock many types and colors of granite at Thayer Monument, if you choose a stone that needs to be shipped in, it can add substantially to the delivery date. If a stone comes from overseas, it can take up to six months.
- Custom graphics and additional engravings (such as the back of the monument)
The foundation is a concrete footing that is poured and levelled to provide a solid immovable base on which to set your monument. These are typically two feet deep and prevent any sinking or heaving of the monument. A granite base is usually placed over the foundation to conceal the concrete.
- Full Names, nicknames, maiden names
- Birth and death dates, places too
- Photos either etched or in porcelain
- Flower pots or vases
- Bronze plaques
- Engraving on the back (easier to locate in the cemetery)
- Favorite verses, quotes or poems
- Memorial lights
- Special shapes and /or carvings
- Benches or other seating
Like any other decision in life is is always best to prepare. But with funeral arrangements, it can mean a great saving in stress and anxiety for your loved ones and that is a legacy that will long be remembered. It can also save on the cost, as anything purchased with today’s money provides a hedge against future inflation.